My love for oatmeal is no longer a secret. It’s my go-to and favourite breakfast of all times, and I have it pretty much every single morning. Oatmeal is amazing for its versatility- there’s so many ways you can play with it. You can read all about the health benefits of oats in my earlier Oatmeal 101 post, but here I have another meal idea for you. This recipe features one of my favourite fruits (except I love almost all fruits ahaha)- grapefruit, along with tahini. Hope you give it a try!
Now tahini. What is tahini? Tahini is a paste made out of sesame- basically like peanut or almond butter, but instead, it’s with sesame. It’s commonly used in savoury recipes, but I love pairing it with fruits as well. I find that its richness and creaminess works perfectly with a refreshing, zesty citrus like grapefruit!
You can find this in most grocery stores. Since it is an ingredient traditionally found in Middle Eastern cuisine, I recommend checking out the international food section first because you can seriously save some bucks! There, I found a tub of it for around $4, versus a tiny jar probably half its size in the health food aisle for nearly $10. O:
As simple as it is, this is more like a meal idea than a recipe. You can also customize it with more different toppings if you’d like.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- a splash of milk of choice (unsweetened almond milk used)
- 1 medium grapefruit, prepared and halved
- 1 tbsp tahini
- toppings of choice (hemp hearts, sliced almonds used)
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add oats, reduce to medium heat, and stir.
- When water is absorbed, add in milk, tahini, and half of the grapefruit.
- Cook until desired consistency. When ready to serve, transfer to a bowl and top off with the remaining portion of grapefruit and toppings of choice.