Recently I talked about oatmeal with some of its nutritional information and meal ideas in my Oatmeal 101 video, and here’s another way to eat them.. overnight oats! I’m sure you’ve all heard of it by now, it’s a pretty popular recipe. Well, who wouldn’t love waking up to an already prepared breakfast that’s yummy, hearty, and healthy? It only takes a few minutes the night before to make, requiring very few ingredients (that are totally customizable), and will give you a great boost of energy for the day! Your excuses for skipping breakfast are no longer valid. 😛
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: None..? | Total Time: Overnight..? xD
– 1/3 cup rolled oats (instant would work too, but definitely not steel cut!)
– 1/3 cup greek yogurt (or just regular yogurt, I prefer greek though because it has a much thicker consistency that I like and it’s higher in protein.)
– 1/3- 1/2 cup milk or water
– any fruits of your choice
– toppings* (flax seeds, chia seeds, nuts & seeds/ butters..)– honey, maple syrup, etc. to sweeten*
Should I even be making a recipe for this? It’s super simple, but here are the steps. 😛
1) Mix in oats, greek yogurt, and water/milk.
You can add more or less liquid depending on the texture you like for your oats.
2) Chop up your fruits, and add them in along with your toppings.
I went for strawberries, flax seeds and chia seeds, feel free to change it up and create different flavour combos! Note that you should pour in more water or milk if you add things like flax and chia seeds, because they absorb the liquid and you don’t want your oats to end up clumpy.
3) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4) The next day, add on anything else you like, and give it a quick stir.
I sprinkled on some pumpkin seeds for a nice crunch. If you have a major sweet tooth, you can drizzle on some honey, maple syrup or agave for extra sweetness. (:
Look at that creamy deliciousness.. it’s basically like eating a guilt-free dessert for breakfast!
I’m just a little sad because I don’t have a mason jar to serve it in by beautiful layers.. D: #sonottumblr
3 Nutritional Perks:
1) Oats contain beta-glucan, a heart-healthy fibre that lowers your cholesterol levels. (More info in my Oatmeal 101!)
2) Greek yogurt is a good source of probiotics, which keeps your digestive system healthy.
3) Fruits are natural sources of sugar, offering energy, while satisfying your sweet cravings with tons of vitamins and nutrients.
Hope you’re liking these recipes, thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!